the definition of...
An Inclinometer (or Clinometer) is an instrument for measuring angles of slope (or tilt), elevation or inclination of an object with respect to gravity. Also known as a tilt sensor, tilt indicator, slope meter, slope gauge, gradient meter, gradiometer, level gauge & level meter.
1. An instrument used to determine the angle of the earth's magnetic field in respect to the horizontal plane.
2. An instrument for showing the inclination of an aircraft or ship relative to the horizontal.
3. An instrument for showing a deviation from the true vertical or horizontal
4. An instrument used by surveyors in order to measure an angle of inclination or elevation [syn: clinometer]
Sound Reinforcement: To check a level as compared with a horizontal plane, or to measure surface inclination or tilt of line array. To assist in setup and alignment for proper sound quality.
Transportation: For measuring the rolling and pitching of a ship or the banking of a road curve.
Mining: A. An instrument for measuring the inclination or slope, as of the ground,
Syn:clinometer b. Any of various instruments for measuring the departure of an object from vertical; a driftmeter.
1. Any device that receives a signal or stimulus (as motion or inclination, etc.) and responds to it.